Thursday, May 19, 2011

Let Your Dreams Take Flight

I made this for my friends' daughter's birthday last month and thought I would share it here today as I am busy making a gift for two teachers and have not had any time to make a card to post, and I am waiting for my Hero Arts ATC partner to let me know when she receives her ATC so that I can post that too.

So, I made this young girl a small canvas for her bedroom, trying to match some of her colours and make the gift meaningful but still playful!  I like to include a meaningful life message in my gifts as much as possible.  In this case I used a sentiment from one of my Unity KOM sets which goes perfectly with the lovely butterflies from Hero Arts, it says "Let Your Dreams Take Flight"!

I followed some of the steps laid out by Shari in this video when she made her canvas, and I used torn tissue paper and modge podge. The sentiment is actually stamped on tissue paper and then I went over it with modge podge which is why it looks like it's behind a film.  I like the effect, it's kind of dreamy.

I love the fun, young looking polka dot paper from We R Memory Keepers.  The butterflies are stamped on white cardstock, inked with various distress inks and then I added a fragment from Tim Holtz over each one with some glossy accents.  I got the fragment idea from a beautiful card that Alice created, you can see it HERE. I also used my much neglected Silhouette to cut out that branch/leaf shape. 

The background is inked with Spiced Marmalade and some Vintage Photo Distress ink.


Paper: Neenah Solar White; Tissue Paper; Green c/s (PTI); Patterned Paper (We R Memory Keepers)
Ink: Various distress inks; Memento Tuxedo Black
Stamps: Unity; Hero Arts; MFT (alphabet)
Other: Silhouette; Fragments (Tim Holtz); Paper Flower (Hero Arts); Brad (Recollections); Glossy Accents; Small Canvas (Michaels)

End of school year is fast approaching, and as my daughter will be changing school in order to start Kindergarten, I wanted to make a more lasting gift for her two class teachers.  I suppose a set of greeting cards would have been just as good, but I obviously like pressure!!!

Have a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

This was such a special gift, Brenda, straight from your heart :) My favorite part of it are those gorgeous butterfly squares! It's truly stunning IRL! XX

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! So bright and cheerful for a little girl! Love the branches, butterflies and alphabet stickers....great gift!

Barb said...

Wow, Brenda! This turned out so beautifully! Love the sentiment along with those pretty butterflies! Lisa's right. . . .so special!

walchowDesign said...

Beautiful canvas, Brenda! The bg colour and the square butterflies are makes the canvas special!

Jacqueline said...

I LOVE this one Brenda - not the CAS style :) but really really creative and gorgeous!

Rosemary said...

what a lovely gift for your friend's daughter! so bright and cheerful!

Dawn T said...

what a lovely idea. This canvas is beautiful and such a special gift.

Alice said...

such a beautiful work of art, Brenda! wow! amazing details and colors as always! such a cool idea for a gift, too. love it! you are so sweet! =)