Monday, March 28, 2011

Honouring Sally!

Hey, Joy over on Less Is More is having her first challenge and has asked that we select a person, and one of their creations, that we would like to honour and make something based off of that.  There are so many people out there in the crafting world that inspire me and I did not know where to start!  So instead of getting "my knickers completely in a knot" I decided to go and take a look at all the fabulous creations I am constantly adding to my Favourites over on Flickr.

And over and over again, no surprise, Sally's cards keep popping up (amongst many others which I will have to make a point of honouring sometime!).  Next was trying to choose one of Sally's creations!  Well, I cannot sew anything that will never come undone so I could not choose from any of her beautifully sewn creations, but I chose a beautiful card which you can find HERE.

Oh my goodness, I so love this card!  Butterflies that I totally adore!  I love that canvas stripe background in that beautiful pink and look at those little roses, and that beautiful bow with the pearl on it! I hope Sally does not mind, but apart from the bits I simply could not do for the lack of skills, I basically CASED her card!  Here is my version in honour of a great artist and crafter!


Paper: Dark Chocolate cs (PTI); Neenah Solar White
Ink: Victorian Velvet DI; Viva Pink Glimmer Mist; Versafine Onyx Black
Stamps: Hero Arts
Other: Swiss Dot CB Embossing Folder; Nestabilitie Die; Seam Binding (ribbon); Gems (old stash); Dryer Sheets; Clear EP; Stickles

As you can see, I basicaly CASED this card.  That background stamp was a cling stamp I won from Sally herself during a colour challenge she hosted, so what better time to use it!

 Ribbons and flowers are not my strong suite when it comes to having to make them, so it was nice to be able to use the seam binding, which I coloured with the glimmer mist spray.  The butterfly, after being embossed, was also coloured with the same glimmer mist.  Now for something interesting that I came across yesterday. You see that  "flower", well, it's made using dryer sheets!  Yes, the used ones from the laundry!  I guess one can just about recycle anything!  Alas, I cannot take credit for this at all, so please visit Gabrielle Pollaco , an awesome scrapbooker with equally awesome tutorials, for how to make this very simple flower! The cut circles were sprayed with Glimmer Mist, the edges were lightly coated with stickles, and when dry, each was mounted on the other with an added gem to finish it off!  So easy!

I hope I did you proud Sally! Your work truly inspires me, but more than that, it's the personality that shines through your work, something gentle and caring.

And thank you Joy for hosting this challenge!

8 comments:

Barb said...

Love your card even more, now that I see the pretty one of Sally's you've chosen! Beautiful, Brenda! Sally will love it!

CinnamonSally said...

Wow Brenda, I am completely overwhelmed, your card is beautiful and I am thrilled that I have inspired you, Your dryer sheet flower is amazing (I must have a go at one of those.) Thankyou so much for your kind words, I am so pleased that I have such a special blogging friend!

Anita Rex said...

So sweet of you to honor Sally! I don't think you necessarily cased her card as made it your own! I love your dryer sheet flower, what a great idea! I don't use those any more though so sad! :> It's so easy with the stickels around it! Such a pretty card today Brenda!

walchowDesign said...

Indeed, Sally's card is gorgeous and I'm sure she will be honored that you CAS her! I love the beautiful flower the butterfly!

joy said...

Oh, Brenda, you have done a wonderful job with this card - great take on Sally's card. I haven't entered this challenge yet, hope I can get a card made before the deadline!

Lisa said...

Wow- the flower turned out amazing with the dryer sheet!! I must see IRL! YoOu surely did Sally proud- it's gorgeous :)

Joy said...

Stunning Brenda and what a wonderful person to honour...Sally is super sweet and these cards that you have created honour her so well..thanks so much for participating in my first challenge, hugs!

Jacqueline said...

Sally's card is gorgeous and yours too! Love these pinks!